For shorter wait times please visit the Registration Department at least one day in advance and ask about pre-registering for your lab visit. Bring your photo-ID, insurance information and a test requisition from your provider.
For more information call Registration at 707-961-1234 ext 331
About the Lab
Full Range of Services
- Friendly Staff
- Patient-centered care
- Fast, accurate results
- Expert staff
- FastTrack anti-coagulation service
- Results sent to your doctor or your home
Our Laboratory Department provides a full range of clinical laboratory, medicine, pathology, and transfusion services,” says Emmet O’Connell, CIC, CLS, lab supervisor and infection control officer for the hospital.
Under the supervision of a physician Pathologist, our Clinical and Pathology Laboratories allow for a wide variety of tests to assist doctors in diagnosis and treatment.
Over 95% of requested tests are performed in-house, reducing delays in reporting results. Extensive testing of control materials ensures that test results are of the highest quality.
7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
To better serve our community we are open on weekends and most holidays, but registration times can be long. To save time please see instructions above for pre-registering.
8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Saturday and Sundays
If you need help or have a problem, call our Clinical Lab Manager, Dane Stanton at 707-961-4660.
Getting Your Results
How do I get my lab results?
- Call your doctor. He or she gets your lab results immediately after testing is completed.
- Pick them up at the lab or have them mailed to your home. Because of HIPPA laws protecting the privacy of your medical records, you must sign a release form and show your identification. At the time of testing, you also can authorize us to give your results to another person.
- We’ll send them by fax. When you come for your blood test, sign the release authorization form and provide us with a fax number.
Please note: federal privacy laws do not allow us to give you results over the phone. In the near future, our electronic medical record system will allow us to send your results by email.
How long will it take to get test results?
- Testing performed at MCDH is usually done within 24 hrs, except if it is a culture for bacteria or some other Microbiology procedure; these procedures take 72 to 96 hours to complete and report.
- Reference laboratory procedures (specialty tests) require 3 to 7 days for the report.
Tip to know which kind of test you had: Look at the labels you received when you were registered. If the first letter in the number is a “Z”, then the test will be sent out to a reference lab and you can anticipate a report within 3 to 7 days. If the first letter is an “M” then the test is a microbiology procedure and will be ready in the 72-96 hour timeframe. If the first letter in the number is not an “M” or a “Z”, then the test will likely be performed in our Laboratory and will be ready within 24 hours.
With your written authorization, the pathologist on duty is available to assist you with your pathology results. These reports are commonly available within 7 days of specimen collection.