It was with great sadness that we at the Mendocino Coast District Hospital learned of the recent passing of Dr. Donald P. Hahn. Revered by his patients, admired by the Hospital Staff, and respected by his colleagues, Dr. Hahn’s service to our hospital and the community spanned over forty years.
Arriving in Mendocino in 1965, he opened his practice on Main Street and attended patients in the Redwood Coast Hospital in Ft. Bragg (now the Grey Whale Inn). When the new and modern Mendocino Coast District Hospital was opened in 1971 after years of work by forward-looking community leaders, Dr. Hahn accepted the leadership role he was suited for and became the first Medical Chief of Staff at MCDH. He then guided the Hospital and Medical Staff into the new era of medical care that was evolving at that time.
Dr. Hahn was born in Baltimore, Maryland in 1929, the second son of an educator, who owned and operated a private K through 12 boy’s school from which he graduated in 1947. He attended Princeton University, where he excelled not only in academics but also in sports and was inducted into the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame in 1982. He received his medical degree from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 1955, where his professors and mentors wrote the textbooks that a subsequent generation of medical students studied.